Friday, December 11, 2009

Speak Memory: the meaning behind the art

This piece was my least favorite...I just could not for the life of me figure out how I wanted to convey the quote that inspired me in regards to this piece. the Quote ended up becoming a part of the art it's self...
"The cradle rocks above an abyss, and common sense tell us that our existence is but a brief crack of light between two eternities of darkness. Although the two are identical twins, man, as a rule, views the prenatal abyss with more clam than the one he is heading for (at some forty-five hundred heart beats an hour).
I was really enraptured by this quote, it helped me put into words my own feeling about life...whether it is easy to admit or not, there is truth in the existing identities that lie on both sides of our existence that are sole identities all their own, and they are both so foreign to us that we may often times react our pre-existences and intrigues and almost comforting, but then were think of death in terms of fear and uncertainty. But during the semester I felt as though Nabokov began to re-shape those preconceptions, especially in regards to death. That is why I just had it almost leaked on to the photograph, to show that it touched everything on the cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment