Friday, December 11, 2009

Lolita: the meaning behind the art

Every time we would speak those famous opening lines my mouth would move to the melodic written words LO-LEE-TA. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that is the only way to speak, think or here the name. I felt like I was connected to the text because my mouth was reacting to the words Nabokov wrote... it was a feeling that was more unique than any other text that I had read before. I mean don't get me wrong, I have responded emotionally and mentally to a text before, but never physically, it was kinda crazy, and still as I'm writing this I feel my mouth moving to speak the immortal name " Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta"

I then added the envelope which is addressed to us as readers, and included inside there is a note card which has the last lines of Lolita scribbled on it...which I like because I feel like that is exactly what he had intended, his books as personal letters addressed to all of his various readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment