Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Speak Memory as Spoken To Me.



"The green one, by a mere whirl of the wrist, could be made to produce a ruffled tree, or the eddy left by a submerged crocodile. The blue one drew a simple line across the page -- and the horizon of all seas was there. The brown one was always broken, and so was the red, but sometimes, just after it had snapped, one could still make it serve by holding it so that the loose tip was propped, none too securely, by a jutting splinter. . . . The white one alone, that lanky albino among pencils, kept its original length, or at least did so until I discovered that, far from being a fraud leaving no mark on the page, it was the ideal implement since I could imagine whatever I wished while I scrawled".

This quote just about knocked me off my ass...WOW.
What I guess I find so phenomenal about this quote is that it is something that I have experience my entire life in regards to creating. There are all of these different aspects in which help you tread along your path of creating just as colors work perfectly to assist you in conjuring up that one crocodile, or ocean horizon line, but the white one is limitless in assistance. With that one white paintbrush your imagination can experience its full unleashed potential. There is freedom by being given the gift of creation without limits. I think this is very reflective in Nabokov work, he is able to write and give meaning to his work as if there were no limits prohibiting his natural creative flow, and in my opinion he really breaks through any limits that might come between him and his connection to his work. I have always had a hard time being able to conjure up the creativity that is in my mind, I feel as though there is so much to express, but I don't know how to fit it into a format that makes sense to everyone. This is just one of many ways in which Nabokov inspires me. He is able to create these master pieces in forms and styles that fit no style I have ever experienced.To me he is the shining example of why English is so enjoyable. I am going to be an English teacher and he has given me hope that I can actually offer my student interesting,engaging, and life altering texts.

No comments:

Post a Comment